As I read the words of Jacqueline Novogratz in The Blue Sweater, I was inspired by her vision of “redefining the geography of community," and her encouragement to share accountability to create a world of equals. Her sharing that "each of us in his or her own way can contribute something by thinking—and acting—like a true global citizen" felt both empowering, yet producing a sense of apprehension. Realizing that the future is ours to create, that we must have the courage to imagine it together is empowering. Novogratz's experiences as she witnesses the stories of the widows in Rwanda, to being an advocate for global empathy inspired me to remember that creating change begins with recognizing our common humanity and taking action in any way possible, no matter how small the change that results.
Personally, I have always believed that educating everyone should be the first step in making the world a better place, and truly society's next step in progress. I have faith that education will provide opportunities, and ensure progress toward breaking the vicious cycle of poverty. The ethically challenging dilemma of social inequity in education is something that I feel passionately about, like so many others; too many individuals, particularly in developing nations, are not provided opportunities simply because of where they were born. This lack of access locks whole communities in poverty, caps their potential, and entrenches inequality. Education is not only a path to employment; it is a basis for dignity, agency, and the ability to engage in society fully. I see education as the great equalizer, and I want my actions to properly reflect that belief.
During my internship at a Samsung-funded edtech start-up I was able to confront this issue head on, while also feeding into my company, community and society through education technology. I spoke to disadvantaged students in India and worked with my colleagues to understand UI/UX and create AI algorithms. I was excited and spent my personal energy designing this AI-powered chatbot, which is now a tutor for more than 500,000 students who do not have immediate support in academic learning. I learned that, as part of the solution, the larger and more intentional the action many can take (even if small, tech-aided) can have a larger impact than one would think; and that my commitment will remain connected to my passion of eduction with technology, empathy, and global work following graduation. If we all were to take ownership of the futures we image in the words of Novogratz, then my first step will be working toward education equity with all we can, one student and one innovation at a time.
Hi Anish, I loved what you wrote. I think it's really valuable to have education available for everyone and people able to learn from others of things that they typically wouldn't be able to get access to. I agree with you that education provides opportunities and is the basis for dignity, agency, and the ability to engage in society fully. I think this is something that more people should take into consideration.
ReplyDeleteI really admire how you tie education equity to dignity and agency. One next step could be thinking about how your AI tools might also support students’ emotional needs, not just academic ones. Your work shows how powerful tech can be when it’s built with empathy and intention!
ReplyDeleteHi Anish, I really like your passion of promoting equity of education. The AI-powered chatbot you designed is really exciting and is a really great first step. One next step might be promoting the tool and related free-courses to locations which are in urgent needs. Collaborating with local non-profits and governments might facilitate the progress and the impact.
ReplyDelete