An Interesting Discovery
35 days, 840 hours, 50,400 minutes, or 3,024,000 seconds. That’s all the time I have left at USC.
Sorry for the dramatic intro, but I need to emphasize how little time I have left at this awesome institution. My year flew by, and I’m incredibly grateful for the people I met and the memories I created here.But I have one regret: not exploring campus enough. I had no idea USC had so many hidden spots—one of which has recently become my go-to study place. Throughout all of first semester and most of second, I studied either in my dorm room or under the harsh, hospital-like lights of Leavey Library. But just two weeks ago, I made an unexpected discovery: the bookstacks at Doheny Library.
Now, don’t confuse this with the main hall you've probably seen in photos and reels. I'm talking about a secret area five floors underground, where you're unlikely to bump into another soul. It’s a wild maze with low ceilings, warm lighting, cool air conditioning, and thousands (maybe millions?) of books. I stumbled across it while looking for The Blue Sweater for a class. When I approached the librarian's desk, I assumed she would fetch the book for me. Instead, she scribbled a few letters and numbers on an index card and told me to go find it myself. As I entered the bookstacks, I was shocked by how vast the collection was—and even more surprised to learn there are elevators that go five floors underground. I made my way down, and to my delight, I discovered a quiet little area with empty desks and chairs.“WHAT? I can study here?” I thought. All this time, I had been crammed into Leavey’s musty corners, completely unaware of this hidden gem just across McCarthy Quad.
Since then, I’ve ditched my old spots and now regularly come to this low-key, peaceful bunker. I love how secluded it is, and being surrounded by books makes me feel focused and inspired. The place gives serious bunker vibes, but in the best possible way. And at a big, social school like USC, it’s nice to have a quiet pocket of solitude. During my study sessions, I take mini-breaks to wander the stacks, browsing random books. I even made a friend there: Valencia, the security guard who checks in on me. He’s super friendly—but nearly gave me a heart attack when he suddenly started speaking fluent Hindi. I had never met a white guy who spoke my language so well!
As much as I love this place, I know my time here is limited. That’s why I wanted to share it with a few others before I leave. Hence, this post. When I showed this spot to my friends, their reviews ranged from “It’s a dungeon of knowledge” to “It’s depressing.” To me, it’s both—but in the best way. This little hideout will forever be one of my favorite memories from USC. I highly recommend you check it out at least once and decide for yourself.
The Maze Like Corridors
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Anish, exploring campus is so eye-opening. My favorite building on campus is Taper Hall which is a building commonly hated by USC students. But they haven't explored it enough. On the 3rd floor there is a student study area with coffee and big windows. I also love the book stacks and I am glad you found them before you leave this year for Hong Kong.
ReplyDeleteHi Anish, I did not know about this study spot. However, I can recommend another one for you: Ginsburg Hall's study pods (or however it is written). They are super peaceful and get me some focused, but I'll make sure to check out your spot too.
ReplyDelete33 days, 792 hours, 47,520 minutes, or 2,851,200 seconds. That’s all the time I have left before I take off from LAX!
ReplyDeleteI loved reading this, Anish. I had no idea the Doheny bookstacks went five floors underground, that sounds like such a cool study spot. I totally get what you mean about needing quiet spaces at USC, especially with how intense campus life can get... I’m definitely going to try and check it out before I’m out of time too. I need to hurry up, maybe you can show me around!!
Hey Anish! I loved reading your random post, it was especially funny when you wrote about the security guard becoming your friend. Anyways, you inspired me to also check out campus and find secret spots as well. That seems like such a great thing to do and it really makes us able to share our true experience at USC and make it something to remember.
ReplyDeleteHi Anish! Thanks for the recommendation! I've never studied there before and I've been here for almost four years! From the pictures you provided, it looks like a place where I would love to study for finals (specifically). I need an extremely quiet area because I get easily distracted. Also I'm happy you made friends with the security guard. I've found that many of the employees at USC are extremely sweet. Have you ever tried studying at the cinema school? If you go up to the second floor, you can sit outside at the tables in the sun or in the shade (whichever you prefer) and it's so beautiful. You should give it a go. Here's to our last month at USC! Cheers!!
ReplyDeleteAnish, this used to be my go-to spot freshman year. It is a super quiet spot, and rarely do you find anyone down there. Hope you enjoy your last month at USC and make the most of it!
ReplyDelete