Book 1 Post 2
I am nearing the end of the book "American Like Me", edited by America Ferrera, and I don't want it to end. This has only happened for a handful of books in my life. My read so far was an incredibly insightful experience where I made many heartfelt connections with the stories of contributors. This was pretty much what I was hoping to get out of the book before I began reading. So, I'm happy. There were multiple reasons why I chose this book. The primary reason was that I grew up in five different countries, and the book's theme of navigating life between cultures felt deeply personal to me. I wanted to see how my own story of growing up in a web of cultures compared to that of others. Other reasons include the book was written by one of the professor's former students and the book was available to borrow at Doheny Library.
What I really appreciated about the book was its format. It is composed of 31 short essays, each providing a window into the cultural experiences of a different person. From America Ferrera’s own reflections on her Honduran roots to Jeremy Lin’s experiences as an Asian American athlete navigating the pressures of identity in sports, each essay added a unique flavor to the collection. I was also able to relate with many of the tales such as Padma Laxmi's exploration of her Hindu identity to Reshma Saujani getting her name mispronounced at Starbucks. Some made me laugh out loud as my clueless roommate gave me weird looks. While others, left me reflecting on the complexities of identity and belonging in this big melting pot we call America.
The book was a delightful and easy read. I also got exposed to a variety of different writing styles because of the high number of contributors. I approached the book by reading only a few essays at a time. Each night, before sleeping, I tried to read 2-3 essays which took about 20 mins. I started enjoying this routine because I got to learn about the lives of 2-3 new people each night! I highly recommend you to read this book because not only does it provide a glimpse into other people's stories but it also fosters cultural empathy which I believe is an imperative skill in our interconnected world. Enjoy your new book!

Hi Anish, thanks for your input on this book. I particularly liked how the book was broken up, with the short essays. I've read a book with a similar format before, amd think this makes for such a nice read because you it's fresh and keeps you wanting to learn more. In this case, it's great how you were able to learn some many unique perspectives and outlooks from very insightful people that show us the intracacies of the American identity (or identities). On another note, I loved how you broke the reading up into 20 minutes a day, because I did the same thing. It's become such a good habit to have and I'm looking forward to the next read!
ReplyDeleteWow! It is great that you got to read 31 different stories of people's experiences. What an interesting book. No matter who you are or where you come from all of us have felt like strangers in a strange land at some point in our lives. I agree that it is so important for people to read of others experiences and put themselves in other peoples shoes. Maybe if everyone read this book we would have more empathy for each other and celebrate cultural differences.
ReplyDeleteHi Anish, this was a great take on the book. Your recounting of the book left me entertained and hooked. I already want to know what those essays entail and read them for myself.
ReplyDeleteHi Anish, I love how you feel connected with this book with your personal experience. The format of 31 essays could let the readers to engage in lives from different perspectives! Thank you for recommending this book!
ReplyDeleteHi Anish, that is amazing that you grew up in five different countries. Also, I thought that this way an interesting pick because of the essay structure. I would guess that reading a book in pieces like that is quite a different experience than reading a novel as you normally would. I am glad that you enjoyed the book. It is also great that this book was able to introduce to many different writers and their respective writing styles all at once.
ReplyDeleteHi Anish, I'm glad that you really resonated with "American Like Me," and I think it's really cool how you lived in five different countries! The book sounds super engaging, and I feel as if it may be something I can relate to as an Asian American myself. Definitely smart pacing yourself by reading a few essays a night. If I end up reading this book, will also do the same haha. Thanks for the recommendation!
ReplyDelete